Friday, October 19, 2012

A few experiences


This has been a remarkably rich trip, and it is not over yet. Sometimes I have to make a list of experiences. I do love my job.

  • Interacted with 220+ people from 50+ nations at a consultation of theological educators.
  • Argued vigorously with a taxi driver that I was sure was overcharging me. Managed to get his boss to lower the price on the driver's cellphone. Then came to find out it was a very fair fare in the first place. Humbled. 
  • Gazed out at the wonder of a game park in the middle of a city (Nairobi National Park).
  • Spoke to 1,500 university students with three minutes' notice. 
  • Observed as same 1,500 university students listened to and interacted with a rather graphic sermon/testimony on sexual addiction (toward the top of my interesting and informative cultural experiences list).
  • Saw a plaque commemorating the visit of the church where I grew up in Ohio to a Kenyan university in 1997. 
  • While dining in the "Karibu Canteen" at said university, ended up with tripe stew for lunch by saying "I'll have what he's having" (it was quite tasty).
  • Observed what I can only describe as a rather remarkable personal transformation in a leader I've known for nearly 15 years. 
  • Watched several beautiful Kenyan sunsets while enjoying good conversations.
  • Met with an Archbishop who insisted that I call him by his first name, rather than "your Grace," as I was instructed to do. 
  • Was reminded that there are foods I don’t care for, namely liver.
  • Learned that Rwandan chai (spiced tea) is perhaps the best in the world (heavy on ginger)
  •  Ate one of the best omelettes of my life (one of the better legacies of Belgian colonialism).
  •  Met someone from Angola in person with whom I've had e-mail contact since 1998.
  • Was reminded that the Swahili word “karibu” has a much broader and deeper meaning than the English “welcome”.  
  •  Ended up with everything in my suitcase covered in glitter that rubbed off a gift.
  • Was left waiting at the airport in the middle of the night for the first time in my traveling life (for which I consider myself fortunate). Turns out I mixed European/African standard for expressing time (00.15) and American (12:15). He was planning to fetch me at noon; I arrived at midnight. All was well.
  • Was able to hear a lot of people leading innovation in education. Perhaps best of all, was able to encourage them. 
  • Was reminded once again how full of life Africa is. 


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful experiences, Jason. Enough for _several_ trips! The ICETE Consultation finished well. The presentation on Thursday morning was brilliant. It was videoed, so you'll have a chance to see it. It will be repeated with a somewhat different emphasis in Nepal, so I'll get seconds!

    ReplyDelete