Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sadness


A few months ago, when I was visiting Khartoum, Sudan, I wrote the following:
“Today was a very full day that included more heart-wrenching stories about the deconstruction of a country, the results of economic turmoil that makes anything we experience in America pale by comparison, and a visit to the library of a theological school that included a multi-volume set of Bobsy Twins books, a run of Good Housekeeping from the 1990s and some used coloring books (alongside a smattering of commentaries and theological readers). Although I can’t help laughing to myself as I write that, I don’t say it to be funny. It’s actually a very poignant reminder of how dedicated and talented people struggle to do good work in exceedingly trying and under resourced circumstances. I have an even deeper respect for the Sudanese today.”
This week, I received the following news from Sudan:
Hi brothers and friends in Christ!
Thank you for your constant prayers for the church of God in Sudan.
What you have heard … is true but it is not the full news.
What happen to the whole land (Bible School + three Church buildings + primary school) is unbelievable!
The Muslims destroyed every thing and burned out the must of them beside taking many properties to their own use. They destroyed the Bible School completely!!! 
They burned out all the offices, dormitories. stores, library, trees, Holy Bibles and others.
This not only the very sad event in Sudan, but the Islamic Crusades against Christians and churches by now is covering the whole country.
 For our side our reaction is going in full control and we do not have any desire to revenge or to act like them.
We pray that God may forgive them and show them the truth.”
The school mentioned is the one I mentioned in passing above. While this is far from the first time that I have received word of some kind of violence somewhere in the world, this is the first time that a place where I sat and walked just three months ago has been destroyed. Thankfully, it seems that there were no injuries. I cannot help but remember a woman with small children, living in the student housing, who invited my colleague and me into her small two-room apartment. I have to wonder now where she and her family have gone. 
There are two elements in this very sad and distressing story that are nonetheless encouraging. First, the non-violent response of the Christians above. Second, the reports from a different source of the outpouring of support from many individual Muslims from the community around the school after this attack. One of the worst mistakes we can make is to assume that all Muslims associate with the kinds of actions that took place here. As this outpouring of support shows, there are many who desire to live in peace with their Christian neighbors.
My heart is heavy.  But my respect and care for those who continue to work in these circumstances is even greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment